Thursday, July 31, 2014

Kayaking in the Pacific Ocean

While I'm well aware that I'm an "urban environmentalist", yesterday I engaged in some Robert Redford style environmentalism.  First, I took a kayak out for an hour and paddled around the best I could off of Carpinteria Beach.   Now I have a sunburn and blisters but at the time it was great.    Last night I attended a showing of the documentary DamNation. It is an outstanding film.   Before attending, I worried that it would be preachy and ignore the benefits that dams and hydro power have offered the nation.  Instead, this is a very witty film that even a two handed economist can appreciate.  The film makes a credible case that we have built too many dams in the U.S with our collection of over 65,000 dams and that diminishing returns have kicked in.  While there is a little bit too much focus on wild Salmon and the crazy guys who love them, the film opened my imagination to the benefits of allowing more rivers to "run wild".

No comments :