Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Graduate Environmental and Urban Economics Education

UCLA does not have enough Ph.D. students interested in a graduate course on environmental economics.   That's a shame but I don't take it too personally (maybe I should?).   Fortunately, the University of California's Center for Energy and Environmental Economics offers a week long summer course. Ph.D. students from all of the ten campuses are welcome to attend and I have taught in this program twice before.  This summer, I will be lecturing about China and its urban pollution challenges.  A preliminary draft of my lecture notes are posted here.    In teaching in this program, I have greatly enjoyed meeting young scholars who share similar broad interests with me.   While I greatly enjoy teaching most of my UCLA undergraduates, I sometimes envision what it would be like to be part of a University with a real commitment to graduate environmental and urban studies.  The Luskin School at UCLA does not have a Ph.D program and for folks who know me you know that I"m not an "urban planning" kind of guy.  So far, I have not been able to talk my wife into moving to Asia but I know that I could teach a popular graduate class at Tsinghua University or at NUS.

No comments :