Saturday, December 03, 2011

Does Google Books Offer Too Much Intellectual Property?

Click here to read huge chunks of Dr. Glaeser's Triumph of the City for free.  Click here to read huge chunks of my Climatopolis for free (chapters 1,3,6 and 7).  I'm hoping that my friends at Google can explain how this is legal?  Could the publishers of these books really agree to this deal?  I like the idea that everyone on the web can read 40% of my book for free but can that be a $ maker for the publishers?

2 comments :

Jonathan Dingel said...

Have you actually looked at a ton of pages in Climatoplis on Google Books? I'd be surprised if one could read whole chapters. Typically, if you scroll through dozens of pages, you hit the viewing limit, which is chosen by the publisher when they make the title available to Google Books.

Evan Roberts said...

Google Books readership probably substitutes more for library visits, not purchases. Done well, releasing strategic parts of the book on Google Books might get people interested in buying it.