Friday, August 12, 2011

A Reading List for the Economics of Climate Change Adaptation

There appears to be growing consensus that climate change adaptation is an important topic to study. Since economists have opinions (and expertise) about everything, I have created a short reading list  to encourage more young people to enter this lively field. If I have omitted your favorite study, please send me an email and I will update the file.

I was nudged to provide this public good because I will be lecturing next Friday at UC Berkeley on the economics of climate change adaptation.   There are over 40 graduate students who are enrolled at one of the UC branches who will be attending these lectures.  I am quite happy to hear that there is such interest in environmental and energy economics. I know that 4 of the students are from UCLA.  I had hoped that UCLA would have greater representation but I have learned that I'm not an influential man.

2 comments :

Wes said...

While I don't doubt that we will have to do some adaptation, I have major problems with some who think that we can adapt our way out of trouble. The rate at which things are changing seems to argue that we can not adapt rapidly enough to prevent the most catastrophic events. I wonder if it will take a world wide food shortage (rather than just localized famines as in the horn of Africa now) to force us to do what we should have done all along.

Garrett Shepherd said...

Professor Kahn,
I am an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley and I read your blog regularly. I am wondering if your lecture at our school next week is open for an undergraduate student sit in.
Thanks,
Garrett