Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Learning from Experience and Adapting

The Northeast has survived its 5.8 scale quake and will learn from the experience.  The first earthquake I experienced in Berkeley made me think that a subway train was about to arrive.  But, then I realized I wasn't in NYC and that it must have been a quake.  There are always silver linings of such shocks.   I hope my parents and brother enjoyed the excitement?

The population of the Northeast will take a fresh look at potential investments to lower the damage caused by future shocks. That's adaptation!    Richer people and richer cities and nations have more resources to adapt.  This is why the death toll from natural disasters is lower in richer nations.    To adapt to future shocks, we must keep getting richer.

No comments :