Los Angeles did not make the top 10! I guess I raised the average weight around here. Sacramento ranks #7 in terms of the fittest cities in the U.S (read here ). Perhaps because of President Obama and Larry Summers, Washington DC ranks #1.
Here's the top ten:
1. Washington, D.C.
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul
5. Portland, Ore.
8. San Francisco
And here's some of the reasons that Sacramento did so well:
- Higher percentage eating five or more servings of vegetables or fruit each day.
- Lower percentage of diabetes.
- More farmer's markets per capita.
- More baseball/softball diamonds per capita.
- Lower percent currently smoking.
- Lower percent obese.
- Higher percent bicycling or walking to work.
And under the category of "challenges" for Sacramento:
- Higher percent with asthma.
- Higher percent unemployed.
- Lower percent using public transportation to work.
- Higher percent with disability.
- Fewer acres of parkland per capita.
- Fewer swimming pools per capita.
- Fewer tennis courts per capita.
If you want to see the source of this wisdom, click here .