Thursday, August 13, 2009

You Won't Have Nixon To Kick Around Any More

"I leave you gentleman now and you will write it. You will interpret it. That's your right. But as I leave you I want you to know — just think how much you're going to be missing. You won't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference and it will be one in which I have welcomed the opportunity to test wits with you." (Nixon Quote)

Press conference after losing the election for Governor of California, (7 November 1962); "Transcript of Nixon's News Conference on His Defeat by Brown in Race for Governor of California", New York Times (8 November 1962), p. 18.

This is my last blog entry for five weeks. I return to Berkeley and then I go to Beijing for several weeks. I don't blog when I thinking. Good bye and good luck.

I may defect. Relative to US cities, the Beijing air is cleaner, the pay is higher and I'm hoping that the Chinese food is tastier.

UPDATE:

At 530pm today at the Westwood Starbucks on Broxton, I spotted the LA Clippers star Baron Davis enter the Starbucks. He has lost weight. He went to UCLA and he must like Westwood. Say what you want about UCLA but we have the celebrities. As a guy who subscribes to People Magazine, I value celebrity spotting at $100,000 per year. So, the UC President can just continue to cut my pay because I want to stay.

1 comment :

Aaron said...

In addition to seeing you from time to time, in Westwood I've spotted Eastwood at Whole Foods, Common at Novel Cafe, Klum and Seal at Holmby and Westwood Park playgrounds. (That's a substantial portion of one name celebrities.) Eat your heart out!
--Aaron Panofsky