Sunday, April 19, 2009

UCLA and the LA Festival of Books

The LA Times Festival of Books will take place next weekend at UCLA. I will take my son to hear Alonzo Mourning speak and my wife may go hear Brooke Shields or Marsha Brady (I don't know her real name) speak about their respective new books. I believe that Harvard Press published the last two.

Once all of that excitement is out of the way, I will work as a CSPAN interviewer. Edward Humes , the author of Ecobarons, is in for a surprise. I will be interviewing this dude on cable TV. If you watch the show, you will see me acting as a man who knows environmental economics. I'm reading his book right now. It has a slight free market environmentalism flavor to it. In a diverse world, some greens are doing some good.

The LA Times book reviewer had some tough things to say about this book (see
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-ca-edward-humes5-2009apr05,0,2781447.story

I'm on page 20 and will keep reading. One serious point. There are 8 billion people on this planet. --- that's a lot potential choices for a journalist to pick and choose what stories he wants to present. The great thing about statistical analysis is that we are completely honest about how we draw our sample and what it is representative of. Any journalist's story has an element of "cherry picking". Search for the quotes you want.

1 comment :

PrestoPundit said...

Is this thing still run by ex-communists, with no non-leftists invited.

Or have things changed?