Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Blogging Hiatus

I am going AWOL for a few days to participate in a sustainability conference at the Santa Fe Institute in New Mexico . Some of the core ideas I will talk about are here:
www.hks.harvard.edu/rappaport/downloads/policybriefs/greencities_final.pdf. I'm hoping that there will not be podcast. While I like the idea of a historical record of my talk, I don't like the idea of being held accountable for what I say. People who know me know that I like to speak without constraints or feeling self conscious. Tape recorders and video machines somehow make me feel that I'm not at a bar with my friends. I have heard so many boring public speakers and I'm determined to never being boring. But, the urge to not be boring raises the possibility of saying some really weird stuff and I'm certainly guilty of that.

Today at the UCLA Institute of the Environment, the President of Shell Oil showed up for lunch. Mr. Hofmeister is a very smart guy and very good on his feet. He could be a college prof but I guess he chose a different path! It was quite interesting to listen to him talk about how he is making strategic bets on different energy sources in the presence of uncertainty of the future price of energy and regulatory uncertainty such as what will be the implications of California's AB32 for his business.

I came away from the meeting thinking that academic economists need to spend more time with business people. Is the reverse true?

1 comment :

AZMIZAM ABDUL RASHID said...

Dear Sir,

Interesting blog..may we can exchange notes. I am doing my PHD in one of top University in Malaysia. I hope you will assist me in my research..my research field GOOD URBAN GOVERNANCE ENHANCE URBAN ECONOMICL